Thursday, April 12, 2012

2012 Hugo nominations announced

So this year's Hugo nominations have been announced. Super sad face that my most favoritest picks, Catherynne Valente's Deathless and Genevieve Valentine's Mechanique, were not on the Best Novel shortlist, but happy face that James S. A. Corey's Leviathan Wakes was.

Not everyone agreed with me: OBLIGATORY TANTRUM! But I'm looking forward to seeing the nomination breakdown at the end - was my ballot a tipping point for any of my nominees? How much did my voice matter?

One category it might have made a difference in is Best Novella - there was a tie between two nominees, which means that just one vote made the difference on whether one of those stories showed up at all. All three of my noms made the list. But here is another interesting thing: 5 out of 6 of the Hugo and Nebula novella nominations are identical. Really spectacular stories, smaller numbers of novellas to choose from, or the cascade effect of the Nebula nominees being announced before Hugo nominations were due? (I, for example, discovered two of my noms through the Nebula announcement.)

The only one of the Best Novels I haven't read yet is Deadline, which I acquired during my belated-Christmas spree, so that's where I'm going to start with my voter-education.

No comments:

Post a Comment