Thursday, March 1, 2012

Best (free) short fiction of 2011 (according to me)

I didn't read much short fiction over the course of last year, but failing to do so now would have left wide swaths of my Hugo ballot empty. This was fixable; the short fiction I would have been reading is the kind that's free online, and it's still there. So I've been head-down in last year's webzines lately.

I managed tor.com, Clarkesworld, Apex, Strange Horizons, and part of Lightspeed - I meant to read more, but I ran out of steam, and it turns out there are zillions of webzines I hadn't known about. It was kind of an impossible task, reading it all before the nomination deadline.

These were my favorite stories:

The Bread We Eat In Dreams, by Catherynne Valente
The Tolling of Pavlov's Bells, by Seanan McGuire
Tying Knots, by Ken Liu (also in audio form)
The Architect of Heaven, by Jason K. Chapman (also in audio form)
The Leavings of the Wolf, by Elizabeth Bear
Sirius, by Ben Peek (also in audio form)
Making My Entrance Again With My Usual Flair, by Ken Scholes
The Desecrator, by Steven Brust
Eight, by Corinne Duyvis
Ragnarok, by Paul Park and Richard Anderson
The Ghost of Cwmlech Manor, by Delia Sherman
The Widow and the Xir, by Indrapramit Das
Silently and Very Fast (part 1)(part 2)(part 3), by Catherynne Valente (also in audio: 1 2 3)
Kiss Me Twice, by Mary Robinette Kowal
Ghostweight, by Yoon Ha Lee (also in audio form)
Trickster, by Mari Ness (also in audio form)
A Militant Peace, by David Klecha and Tobias S. Buckell (also in audio form)
A Clean Sweep With All The Trimmings, by James Alan Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment